Something warming and delicious, but make it festive. This spiked and spiced mulled apple cider fits the bill to a T.
As the weather is getting colder I’m always looking for something to warm me up because we all know coffee can only go so far (read: caffeine). Warming, festive, and everything you could want in a fall beverage (not to mention it’s a crowd pleaser none the less) !! All the flavors of fall + a touch of rum.
There is truly nothing to this one (I say that every time, but this time – I promise), so lets get to it !!
Following the fall theme of my Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal, I can’t seem to get enough of these flavors. Cloves, cinnamon, and allspice always make me feel warm and comforted no matter what form they come in. This drink captures these flavors so perfectly by mulling over a span of 2 hours. During this time, the flavors begin to meld together creating the perfect combination.
The (Spiked and Spiced Mulled Apple Cider) Process
For this recipe, a Crockpot or slow cooker is your best friend. It is truly as easy as adding all of the ingredient to the slow cooker and letting them cook (mull, if you will). Be sure to hold off on adding the alcohol (if you chose to do so) until after it has mulled or the alcohol will cook out.
Like I said, that truly is all there is to it. Enjoy the flavors of fall and the warmth this drink brings!
oh and almost forgot – Happy Halloween !!
Spiked and Spiced Mulled Apple Cider
- 1/2 gallon apple cider
- 2 large oranges
- 1 tbsp whole allspice
- 2 tbsp whole cloves
- 4 whole cinnamon sticks
- 3/4 cup spiced rum (I used Kraken)
- Slice the oranges into wedges or slices.
- Add the allspice, cloves, cinnamon sticks, orange wedges, and apple cider to the crockpot or large stovetop pan / dutch oven.
- Cook the ingredients on high in the Crockpot for 2 hours (then turn to low after 2 hours if you're keeping on the heat). If you're using a stovetop pan, bring to a boil and then simmer for around 2 hours
- If you're making it spiked, add the spiced rum just before serving. If you add it earlier, the alcohol will likely cook out.
- Strain the cider - and serve!